Sunday, August 5, 2012

Unexpected Imperfection

As I discussed with my husband this morning, one of my biggest failings is the pressure I put on myself and those I care about to be perfect.  Not that I have ever thought myself perfect, I just expect it and am disappointed in myself when I fail.  The weird thing is that I don't expect strangers to be perfect, just those who I am closest to, mainly myself.  Along with this I also project their expectation on me as well to be perfect, whether or not it actually exists.  I could go into a whole bunch of theories as to why I do this, but those would just be excuses.  The feeling of not being good enough for anyone and the perception that my striving towards perfection and excellence will ultimately change that, affects me almost daily.  But here is the real failing in this battle, my failure to recognize that my imperfection is God's glory.  For many, this isn't a new idea, and it's not for me either.  I have heard it many times before, but fail many times to let that resonate in my life.  If not for our imperfection there would not be any need for Christ, no need for God's abounding mercy and grace; all of which glorifies the God who loves us.  And that love is the salvation of man.  That love,when we choose to pass it on, comforts, encourages, defends, and changes lives in profound ways.

Sometimes I find myself getting frustrated at my 8 month old son because he doesn't understand.  He does the things that I have already expressed my disapproval in and I think, "why can't he just stop doing that."  I have expectations for my son to behave perfectly at 8 months old (this is insanity).  Not only is he unable to always understand, sometimes it is just his humanity that comes out as well.  We push the boundaries and test the limits.  When told "no" we sometimes don't think whoever told us that really meant it for us and attempt to do the wrong thing over and over.  Imperfection.  I fail.  I disobey.  I struggle.  

But even though I expect more of myself, and others, than I can ultimately achieve, God does not.  Unexpectedly, He expects us to be imperfect.  In fact, He counts on it.  What a relief this should be to everyone.  Why do I expect more of myself than my own Heavenly Father expects of me?  He, my Creator, knows I can't achieve perfection and yet I think that I can and should.  Fail.  As Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 12:9: "And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."
 May I learn to revel in my failings so I may boast about God's power conquering them.  I must learn to expect my own imperfection and the imperfection of others and strive to expect God's perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment