Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tiptoeing Through the Minefield



 

I feel a little like I am living in a mine field the past week.  Wes stopped smoking last Saturday and his mood is less than ideal and Caleb, well, Caleb is 9 1/2 months and very much at an age where is mood can change rather quickly at times.  Trying to balance life where I am trying to keep one calm so as not to upset the other has been a little tricky.  And ultimately this little balancing act is making for one exhausted wife and mama.

                       
Let's start oldest to youngest.  Wes and I both want him to be a smoke free man.  This, however, does not come without some trials and hard times, much like most things in life that are worth while.  Last Saturday, he stopped smoking, I had to work, so we left Caleb with his Mimi and I babysat his debit card to prevent any breaking down and buying a pack.  Needless to say, I am somewhat glad I wasn't home on Saturday.  Sunday and Monday we were all home together and despite Wes' best efforts to not be too irritable, he had his moments and my PMS attitude didn't help things.  I am surprised me feet didn't start bleeding from all the egg shells I had to walk on for the past 8 days.  On top of all the effects of nicotine withdrawl, he has been very sick the past three weeks with an upper respiratory infection.  I know, its been a party at my house!  I am so proud of him and all the effort he has been putting in to quitting.  I am sure it will be in the top of the list of most difficult things he has ever done.

http://www.leadershipcourseware.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Angry_man_Cartoon.png

This leads me to the youngest member of our little trio.  Mr. C is quite a challenge to keep calm so as not to stress a very irritable Daddy out.  He wants to play with Daddy's books, guitar, computer, tries to climb into the dishwasher, wants to play in the bathroom everytime anyone goes in there (getting thoroughly upset when we close the door on him), doesn't want to go down for his naps at times.  Saying no, and taking things he can't have away from him generally result in a whining and crying fit.  Whenever I am trying to get his bottles or meals ready, he gets very impatient and begins fussing while I am in the middle of it.  Most of the above mentioned things happens daily.  Normally, his tendency to fling himself into a tantrum can amuse me, but with Wes being in his rather shaky moods, it is no longer amusing to me and I find myself stressing about how to get Caleb calmed down in a hurry, and trying to find ways to keep him from getting upset in the first place (not easy). 

 Now, I don't want it to sound like either my husband or my child are unbearable all day, everyday.  They are not, for the most part, they are usually a delight and I enjoy them both so much.  It's just this past two weeks have been a little trickier than usual.  Trying to navigate moods everyday, its a lot of work and, quite frankly, exhausting at times.  I feel for those guys who have more than one or two women/girls in their homes.  I know how moody we can be but I am not usually the one who has try to navigate the moods.  Wes is learning the other side of the coin as well and understanding a little of what PMS is like. 


 On the bright side, it is all temporary and it will all be worth it.  But in the meantime, if you see me on the road or at the airport, I am probably making a mad dash for a vacation away from my moody men! :)

 http://www.pamsclipart.com/clipart_images/stick_girl_in_a_lounger_at_the_beach_0515-1011-1713-0945_SMU.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment